Duration: 3 years
Study Fee: 2200 Euros per year
Successfully completed Master’s degree or any equivalent diploma that qualifies for applying to doctoral studies according to the Latvian Higher Education Act and has been issued in such fields of studies as Sociology, Humanities, Cultural Studies, Business Management or similar specialization.
The studies within the Doctoral study programme are organized as meetings with the supervising professor based on mutual agreement, typically once or twice per academic year.
During the studies doctoral students have to pass two qualifying examinations:
- Theory of Culture
- Foreign Language (usually English)
To register for the Doctoral studies, please submit the following documents in English:
- A duly completed application form (issued by the Latvian Academy of Culture)
- A copy of your passport or ID card;
- A copy of your Master’s (MA) diploma.
NB! If a person has acquired the education document or degree abroad, he or she shall append to the submission a statement of the Academic Information Centre (Dzirnavu Street 16, 3rd floor, Riga, tel. +371 67225155, fax. +371 67221006; for further information please see: http://www.aic.lv/portal/en) regarding the education document or degree granted in Latvia to which the education document or degree acquired abroad conforms
- Curriculum Vitae;
- 3 to 5 pages long substantiation of the envisaged dissertation thesis along with its theoretical framework. The substantiation should be prepared with the possible research adviser (a member of the academic staff from the Latvian Academy of Culture) and signed by both the applicant and the adviser;
- A reference letter from a member of the Latvian Academy of Culture’s academic departments or an appropriate specialist from another research or academic institution;
- Two photos (3x4cm);
- Proof of paid registration fee (20 EUR in 2019) in a form of a bank receipt;
- Copies of published research papers;
- Any other documents that provide relevant information about the applicant’s research and/or academic activities.
The required documents should be submitted by post or by e-mail to the Study Department of the Latvian Academy of Culture (Ludzas Street 24, Riga, Latvia LV-1003; email@example.com ).
The Selection Committee of the Latvian Academy of Culture organises a competition taking into account the applicant’s results presented during his/her Master’s Studies and the professional interview held after the application procedure. If the applicant is not able to attend the professional evaluation interview, it is possible to arrange a Skype meeting instead.
The interview is held with the purpose of evaluating the preliminary plan of the envisaged dissertation and the scientific capacity of the applicant: his/her ability to integrate the preliminary plan with the appropriate form of presentation; his/her reasoning and argumentation abilities; his/her competence in the issues related to the fields of Humanities and the Arts; his/her preliminary work of the envisaged dissertation paper, such as: publication of research articles, participation in conferences, preparedness of the dissertation plan or of the dissertation paper itself.
The Selection Committee of the Latvian Academy of Culture then passes a decision to enrol the applicant for the Doctoral studies.