Full-time undergraduate programme
Tuition Fee*: 1900 EUR/ per year
*Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. For more information and the list of eligible countries visit: http://www.viaa.gov.lv/eng/scholarships_gov/scholarships_for_studies/?tl_id=22800&tls_id=54779
Language of Tuition: Latvian
Duration of studies: Four years
Degree: The Bachelor of Arts
THE AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY PROGRAMME
The programme aims to provide in-depth interdisciplinary knowledge on culture and society combined with skills and competencies in the management and research of cultural processes.
Potential students who are interested in various cultural and artistic processes and are ready to get involved in the analysis, the cognition, the impulsion and the organization of these processes.
CAREERS AND EMPLOYABILITY
Graduates of this programme establish and work in local and international cultural organizations and projects, are able to collect and analyse data to be utilized for the development of local cultural policy and cultural marketing purposes, as well as organize and produce cultural events, such as concerts, exhibitions, festivals and other. The BA graduates may also continue their studies at the MA level in humanities and social sciences.
1. Culture, Arts and Humanities 30%
Basics of Culture and Arts Studies – Semiotics of Culture – History of Philosophy – Western Philosophy of the 20th Century – The History of World Art – The Trends of Western European Art in the 20th Century – The History of World Literature – The History and Theory of World Music – The History of World Theatre – Logic – Anthropology of Culture – Psychoanalysis and Culture – Religion and Culture – History of Ancient Culture – The History of Latvia: Sources and Historiography – The History of Latvian Art – The History of Latvian Literature – The Theory of Literature
2. Sociology of Culture 25%
General Theory of Sociology – Sociology of Culture – Practise of Applied Research – Introduction to Studies and Speciality – Empirical Social Research – Theories of Modern Sociology – The History of Sociology – Qualitative Research Methods – Statistical Methods in Sociology – Family Sociology – Sociology of Art – Methods of Visual Research
3. Management of Culture 25%
Introduction to Public Relations – The Studies of Marketing – Theory and Practise of Public Relations – Art-based Management Techniques – The Basics of Economics – The Basics of Marketing – The Management of Culture
4. Research 10%
Introduction to Research – Term Paper – Bachelor’s Paper
5. Languages 10%
All students are required to become proficient in one foreign language; however, starting from their third year of studies students can acquire also a second foreign language, as well as the basics of Latin.
All applicants must submit:
- A completed application form;
- A copy of passport or identity card (the original should also be presented);
- A copy of the secondary education certificate together with the academic transcript of records (the original should also be presented)*;
- A copy of the secondary school centralized examination certificate with results in Latvian and English (or German or French as a foreign language) (the original should also be presented)*;
- Two photos of the applicant (3x4 cm);
- Printout of the payment order for the applicant’s registration fee of 20.00 EUR
*Before applying for studies at the Latvian Academy of Culture the international applicants are required to undergo the procedure of recognition of their secondary education certificate at the Academic Information Centre (for further information please see: http://www.aic.lv/portal/en )
The admission tutor may request academic references at a later date as well to help make a decision on your application.
Please make sure that your application is received within the application period.
All applicants are evaluated based on their results in:
- The secondary school centralized exams in English (or German or French as a foreign language)* and Latvian**;
- The specialization exam, carried out during the application period at the Latvian Academy of Culture - an essay on a literary theme that shows the applicant's creative approach to the topic, ability to balance ideas with the appropriate form of presentation, ability to argument one’s opinion and to introduce one’s style of expression, knowledge of classical and contemporary cultural issues. Each applicant is given 4-6 topics to choose from and 4 hours to finish the essay. Criteria for assessing the essay (on a scale from 0-200 points): the ability to express one’s thoughts independently, the ability to approach the theme creatively, composition, consistency in the sequence and interconnection of the paragraphs, the ability to argument one’s opinion and to introduce one’s style of expression, the ability to use literary language and appropriate vocabulary.
*International applicants and applicants who have completed their secondary education abroad and have not taken the state centralized exam in English (or German or French as a foreign language) can take it on the spot at the Latvian Academy of Culture during the application period.
**International applicants and applicants who have completed their secondary education abroad are required to register their average mark in their Mother Tongue and their average mark in Literature, which are both recorded in their secondary education certificate.
The Head of the Programme: prof. Anda Laķe, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information regarding the programme and the application procedure: email@example.com